Presentation & Web Mapping Technologies
Integration of tile caches, map services, and map UI from Google Earth, Bing Maps, Yahoo!, ESRI, GeoServer
Communicate complex information easily to a broad audience
The ease-of-use of consumer mapping services blended with enterprise capabilities of a GIS
Farallon builds GIS and web mapping applications that can consume data from a wide variety of sources and the present this data using user friendly and familiar Google Maps, Google Earth, Microsoft's Bing Maps (Virtual Earth) or OpenLayers presentation layer technology.
These mapping applications utilize the enterprises' own internal data from geo-spatially aware databases or GIS software (Oracle, SQL Server, ArcSDE, ,GeoMedia, DB2, PostGIS etc.), which can then overlaid on top of satellite imagery, street, and terrain data. If you need more control over your application, we create custom controls tailored to your users.
Farallon’s approach allows non-specialists to easily visualize the most current GIS data using Google/Bing presentation layers, while GIS professionals can simultaneously access the same interface for more sophisticated analyses using web services that dynamically publish GIS data and high-resolution aerial photography to the presentation layer. Each type of user can view and manipulate the data in the way that is most meaningful and useful to them individually.
Advantages of a consumer-facing presentation layer
- High quality maps available at no cost
- Very responsive performance
- Scalability to very large numbers of users
- Familiar and intuitive user interface
- Enables users of any technical sophistication level to use GIS data
- Easy to integrate to sophisticated back-end spatial processing and data validation
- Existing GIS software can pump processed data to the intuitive public mapping API
- Easy to keep up with technology advances (e.g. Google Earth and Bing Maps advance full versions in just months)