Town of Hillsborough Enterprise Geodatabase Development
- Town of Hillsborough
- Web Applications
- Geodatabase Design
- Planning & Training
- Training & Technology Transfer
The Town of Hillsborough had devoted time and resources to initiating a GIS. It had successfully developed several key GIS data layers including parcels, addresses, and storm, sewer and water lines but did not have the experience or staffing resources to convert their desktop-based GIS to a more robust, enterprise-level GIS. The GIS was fragmented and scattered across various departments, resulting in data redundancies with higher error potential. To leverage their investments in GIS, the Town needed to implement an enterprise GIS that would minimize data duplicities, increase data accessibility, and be manageable by Town staff, regardless of GIS experience.
Selected Screenshots & Videos
- Customized GIS Map Viewer using an enterprise GIS built with ESRI's ArcGIS 9.1 and ArcSDE 9.1 using SQL Server. This view shows many leayer as well as the sewer node details
- Customized GIS Map Viewer using an enterprise GIS built with ESRI's ArcGIS 9.1 and ArcSDE 9.1 using SQL Server. Critical infrastructure geospatial data and orthophotography support the existing data layers.
Farallon devised a three-part solution to meet the Town’s needs:
- Construct a RDBMS- based enterprise GIS that provided interdepartmental access,
- Develop a web-based GIS application to distribute Town geospatial data and maps to multiple departments and users via a web browser, and
- Provide training to staff to enable them to manage their data and applications.
To build a GIS that would support multiple users and provide a central repository for sharing data across the organization, Farallon implemented an enterprise-class GIS with ESRI’s ArcGIS 9.1 and ArcSDE 9.1 using SQL Server. Critical infrastructure geospatial data and orthophotography were loaded to support the existing data layers.
To leverage the functionality and effectiveness of the newly established enterprise GIS, Farallon developed a geospatial web portal that consolidates GIS applications, data, metadata, workflows, and standards into a single, web-based environment, easily available to all staff. Farallon also developed two web-based GIS applications:
- Customized GIS Map Viewer - Using ESRI’s ArcIMS 9.1 and HTML Viewer, Farallon created a customized GIS Map Viewer that provides instant and intuitive web-based access to all data from a users’ desktop, without requiring extensive training or substantial resources.
- Property Notification tool - The Property Notification application facilitates processing property queries or generating address labels and mailings for property-related notification tasks.
Finally, to ensure that the staff could manage their enterprise GIS, Farallon designed a two-day in-house customized training class that focused on the fundamentals of GIS, its software and tools. They also created detailed step-by-step workflows that documented basic data maintenance of the sewer/storm/water system.